- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14-oz.) can low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 chicken breast with ribs (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Cooking time 50mins
Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add carrot and onion; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with juices, broth, basil, tomato paste and bay leaf. Add chicken and submerge.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, turning chicken and stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Transfer chicken to cutting board. Discard bay leaf. Add beans to stew and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
Discard skin and bones from chicken. Cut chicken into pieces; return to stew. Bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste