Bittersweet chocolate mud cake
- 3 x200g blocks good quality dark chocolate
- 375 g butter, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- 4 x 55g eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup (80ml) marsala
- Chocolate glaze
- 1/2 cup (125ml) cream
- 150 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 1 tbs liquid glucose
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line base and sides of a deep 20 cm cake pan with baking paper. Ensure paper sits 4cm above the top of pan.
2. Break chocolate into pieces. Combine with butter, water and sugar in a heavy based pan. Stir over low heat until melted and sugar has dissolved. Cool for 20 mins.
3. Stir in sifted flours, eggs and marsala. Pour into cake pan. Bake for 1hr 50 mins, covering top of cake with foil after 1 1/2 hours to prevent a darkcrust. Cool in pan.
4. Place glaze ingredients in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until smooth. Cool for 15 mins until thickened. Spoon over cake. Stand until glaze has set. Serve with thick cream.
Prep: 20 minutes + 1 hour 20 minutes standing time