Chocolate Mousse Cake
Chocolate Mousse Cake with Coffee mascarpone
- 500 g dark chocolate
- 2 tbs golden syrup
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 1 tbs plain flour, sifted
- Melted chocolate, to decorate
- Chocolate sorbet, to serve
- Coffee mascarpone:
- 200 g mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbs instant coffee
- 2 tbs pure icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Grease and line the base of a 20cm round spring-form cake pan with non-stick baking paper.
2. Melt the chocolate, golden syrup and butter in a bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Place eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer or use an electric hand beater and beat on high for 10 minutes until very thick and pale. Gently fold in the flour then fold in the chocolate mixture until combined. Pour into the cake pan and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and run a knife around the edge of the cake. Remove collar from cake pan and transfer the cake to the fridge for 1 hour to cool (this step is important as it sets the middle of the cake).
4. Meanwhile, to make the coffee mascarpone, dissolve coffee in 1 tablespoon of boiling water and set aside to cool. Beat together the mascarpone, coffee and sugar in a bowl until stiff.
5. To make the chocolate leaf, brush non-toxic leaves with the melted chocolate. When cool, peel the leaf off.
6. Slice the cake and serve with a dollop of coffee mascarpone, a chocolate leaf on top and a scoop of sorbet on the side.