Classic Tiramisu Trifle
- Finishing Tiramisu:
- Sponge cake
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 2 1/4 oz cornstarch
- 8 eggs plus 2 yolks (separate 4 eggs to 4 yolks, and the remaining 4 eggs plus the 2 yolks)
- 1 c sugar plus 2 T
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Marsala
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped to medium peak
- 6 oz mascarpone cream
- Coffee "Punch"/Syrup
- 4 oz Kahlua
- 2 cups strongly brewed coffee
- Sugar, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Set up 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment and spray.
3. Sift cake flour and cornstarch into a small bowl.
4. Beat whites on high speed to stiff peak, streaming in the 2 T sugar after soft peaks form.
5. Transfer to small bowl.
6. Beat yolk mixture with the 1 cup sugar on high speed for about 5 minutes or until thick and pale.
7. Add vanilla and continue beating until combined.
8. Pour yolk mixture into large mixing bowl and soft half of dry ingredients over top.
9. Fold in until just combined.
10. Sift second half dry over top and mix again only just combined.
11. Spoon half of whipped whites over top and fold in to incorporate.
12. Finish with the remaining whites, folding very carefully so as not to lose volume.
13. Divide batter among the 2 baking sheets and spread very carefully with offset, handling minimally.
14. Bake for about 7-10 minutes or until just golden brown and slightly springy to the touch.
15. Immediately cover the surface of cakes with wet paper towels as they are pulled from the oven.
1. Prepare a pot of simmering water ready for a double boiler.
2. Beat yolks and sugar together with a wire whisk, briskly.
3. Slowly add in Marsala, whisking while doing so.
4. St mixing bowl over pot of simmering water, whisking vigorously until mixture reaches about 180 degrees or very hot to the touch. It should begin to thicken a bit and stick to the sides of the bowl. This should take about 5-7 minutes. Be sure that foam stabilized and remains so.
5. Remove from heat and set over another mixing bowl filled with ice. 6. Fold in whipped cream when egg foam has cooled.
7. Add mascarpone and whisk into zabaglione.
Make a coffee soak for the sponge cake by combining the coffee with the Kahlua and a spoon full of sugar, or to taste.
1. Gather a dozen parfait or martini glasses.
2. Build this dessert in layers, starting and ending with coffee soaked cake and alternating with mascarpone cream.
3. Chill for an hour or even overnight.
4. Dust tops of Tiramisu with cocoa powder.