Chicken and rice casserole
Serves 6; 256 a serving
- 1/2 c. chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 Tbl. olive oil
- 1 package (6.9 ounce) chicken-flavored rice and vermicelli mix
- 14-ounce can chicken broth
- 2 c. water
- 2 c. chopped, cooked chicken
- 1 c. chopped, seeded tomato (2 medium)
- 3 Tbl. canned diced green chile peppers, drained
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried basil, crushed
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Read more at http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/12/low-fat-tex-mex-chicken-and-rice.html#OML2fe3hSUDzykjT.99
1. In a saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in rice and vermicelli mix (including seasoning package); cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes (liquid will not be fully absorbed).
2. Transfer the rice mixture to a large bowl. Stir in chicken, tomato, chile peppers, chili powder, basil, cumin and black pepper. Transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish.
3. Bake, covered, in a 425 degree oven for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Let stand about 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Read more at http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/12/low-fat-tex-mex-chicken-and-rice.html#OML2fe3hSUDzykjT.99