Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
This slow cooker sweet and sour chicken is a mish mash of a few different recipes and what I had in my pantry. The result was perfection. It was one of those times that you throw some stuff in a pot and hope for the best. The end result was much better than I was expecting. I love shredded chicken because you can do so many things with it. Eat it over some rice with a side of veggies, add some to a salad, add some slaw and a few dashes of hot sauce and it is like a pulled chicken sandwich. So many possibilities.
- 6 chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 14 ounce can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
Adapted from bakedbree.com
1. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Season chicken breasts with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add to the skillet and brown the chicken on both sides for 2 minutes.
2. Add the browned chicken into the slow cooker.
3. Whisk together chili sauce, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, soy sauce, Dijon mustard. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
4. Pour sauce over chicken.
5. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
6. Shred chicken with fork and serve.