- Substitute for Maple Sugar:
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) maple sugar
- 250 ml (1 cup) hot milk
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- For each 1/2 cup of maple sugar, use 3/4 cup of white sugar and combine it with 1 tsp. of maple extract or maple flavoring.
Adapted from ilovemaple.ca
Preheat the oven to 220 ºC (425 ºF).
Pour 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of vegetable oil into a muffin tin and put in the oven.
In a bowl, combine the flour and maple sugar.
Add the milk stirring until it reaches a smooth consistency.
Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each one. Put the mixture to one side.
Put on some oven gloves and remove the muffin tin from the oven.
Pour the batter into each mould so they are 2/3rds full, and put in the oven for 15 mins.
Lower the oven temperature to 180 ºC (350 ºF) and leave it to bake for another 15 mins.
Take the muffin tin out of the oven and leave it to cool for 10 mins before removing the popovers.
For a real treat, try eating your popovers with fromage frais, yoghurt or whipped cream.