War Su Gai
- 2 whole chicken breasts, skinned, boned, and cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- tablespoon dry sherrySauce:
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch(corn flour)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 cups broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chicken fat or butter
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/3 cup toasted, slivered almonds
- 1 green onion, finely chopped (green and white parts)
- Oil for deep frying
Sprinkle chicken with salt and sherry and marinate for 15 minutes.
While chicken is marinating, prepare the sauce.
Mix together the cornstarch and water in a small saucepan until smooth.
Gradually mix in the chicken broth, mushrooms (if using), chicken fat or butter, soy sauce and bouillon granules.
Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
Let boil for 1 minute, and keep warm.To prepare batter:
Beat together the cornstarch, flour, baking powder, egg, and water until smooth.
Coat each piece of chicken with the batter.
Heat wok or a large skillet and add oil to a depth of 1/2-inch.
Heat to 375 degrees.
Cook coated chicken pieces in oil until they are golden, turning them once.
This should take about 5 - 7 minutes.
Drain the chicken on a tempura rack if you have one, or on paper towels.
Cut the chicken diagonally into strips.
Reassemble the strips into chicken breast shapes and place on a bed of shredded lettuce.
Sprinkle with almonds and green onion.
Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve to 4 to 6 persons.