Ginger Chicken Congee
Pictured on right
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups water
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 cup long grain white rice, such as jasmine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Crushed peanuts, for garnish
- Chili-sesame oil, for garnish
Adapted from online.wsj.com
In a medium-large saucepan, combine stock, water, ginger, rice and 1½ teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then stir and reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice has broken down and congee has consistency of a thin oatmeal, about 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle congee into bowls. Garnish each portion with chives, peanuts and a drizzle of oil.