Peppermint Ice Cream
- 2 cups half n half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup spearmint or peppermint leaves
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup hard peppermint candies or candy canes, crushed
1. Place half n half and mint leaves into a pan.
2. Slowly bring to a simmer.
3. Turn off heat, cover and let steep for about ten minutes.
4. In a mixing bowl, whick together the sugar and egg yolks.
5. Strain the mint out of the half n half.
6. Temper the half n half into the egg mixutre.
7. Place bowl over boiling water and warm until mixture coats a spoon. Hold above steam, do not place directly on pan of boiling water.
8. Strain again if necessary.
9. Stir in milk, cream and extracts.
10. Cool over ice.
11. Place in ice cream maker and run as directed.
12. When finished, remove ice cream and fold in crushed peppermint candies.