Chipotle Tamale Pie
Someone from SCHD brought for Cinco de Mayo, very good.
- 3/4 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3/4 cup diced green bell peppers
- 3/4 cup diced red bell peppers
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 8-ounce can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons adobo saue from canned chilies
- 1 cup low-sodium reduced-fat cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 package 8 1/2 ounces corn bread and muffin mix
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 egg white
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cook turkey, onion, bell peppers and garlic in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Drain fat; sprinkle mixture with cumin.
3. Add beans, tomatoes, chilies and adobo sauce, if desired; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and cilantro.
4. Spray 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon turkey mixture evenly into prepared dish, pressing down to compact mixture Combine corn bread mix, milk and egg white in medium bowl; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter evenly over turkey mixture to cover completely.
5. Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until corn bread is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving