Mardi Gras King Cake
- Pastry: Filling:
- 1 C milk 1 C packed brown sugar
- 1/4 C butter 1 T cinnamon
- 2 (.25oz) pkgs active dry yeast 2/3 C chopped pecans
- 2/3 C warm water (110 degrees) 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1/2 C white sugar 1/2 C raisons
- 2 eggs 1/2 C melted butter
- 1 1/2 t salt
- t nutmeg Frosting:
- 5 1/5 C all purpose flour 1 C powdered sugar
- 1 T water
1. Scald milk, remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup butter. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water with 1 T of the white sugar. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. When yeast mixture is bubbling, add the cooled milk mixture. Whisk in the eggs. Stir in the remaining white sugar, salt and nutmeg. Beat the flour into the milk/egg mixture 1 cup at a time. When dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about l8 to 10 minutes.
3. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 2 hours. When risen, punch down and divide dough in half.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 2 cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
5. To make filling: Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, pecans, 1/2 C flour and 1/2 C raisons. Pour 1/2 C melted butter over the cinnamon mixture and mix until crumbly.
6. Roll dough halves out into large rectangles (appx. 10 x 16" or so). Sprinkle the filling evenly over the dough and roll up each half tightly like a jelly roll, beginning at the wide side. Bring ends of each roll together to form 2 oval shaped rings. With scissors make cuts 1/3 of the way through the rings at 1" intervals. Let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Push the doll into the bottom of the cake. Frost while warm with the powdered sugar blended with 1 to 2 T water.