Italian Spaghetti Bake
- 2 packages (one 16 ounces, one 8 ounces) spaghetti
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (3.8 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
•Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a
Dutch oven, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat
until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce,
pepperoni, mushrooms, olives and seasonings. Drain spaghetti.
•Spoon 1 cup meat mixture into each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in.
baking dishes. Layer with spaghetti and remaining meat mixture.
Sprinkle with cheeses.
•Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining
casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated
•To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove
from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at
350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until
cheese is melted. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 309 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 543 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.