- 3/4 cup rice (brown or white)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, chopped (ribs and seeds removed, for less heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag frozen corn kernels (10 ounces)
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 8 burrito-size flour tortillas, 10 inches each
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa and sour cream, optional
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add onions, garlic, jalapeno, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Add tomato paste, and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Add beans and 1 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Add corn; cook to heat through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in scallions.
Heat tortillas according to package instructions; fill with rice, bean mixture, and cheese.
Assemble: Mound 1/4 cup rice, 3/4 cup bean mixture, and 1/4 cup cheese on one side of tortilla. Fold sides, and hold them in. Starting from filled end, holding sides in as you work, tightly roll into a bundle. Place on a baking sheet, seam side down, and prepare remaining burritos.
Serve immediately, with salsa and sour cream, if using, or wrap per freezing instructions.