Chicken Pad Thai
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 teaspoons serrano chile, minced (1 teaspoon, seeded for less spicy option)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 pound wide rice stick noodles (bánh pho)
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 3/4 cup diagonally cut green onions
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- 4 lime wedges
Adapted from elliehickey.com
1.Place chicken strips in a small bowl and toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce. Set aside.
2.Combine next 9 ingredients (through crushed red pepper); set aside.
3.Cook noodles in boiling water 5 minutes or until done. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain well.
4.Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 7 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan.
5.Combine egg whites and egg, stirring well with a whisk.
6.Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, and sauté for 10 seconds. Add egg mixture, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until soft-scrambled. Stir in chili sauce mixture and noodles; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in chicken, bean sprouts, onions, and 1/4 cup cilantro, and cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
7.Sprinkle 1/4 cup cilantro and peanuts evenly over each serving of noodle mixture. Serve with lime wedges.