Adaptation of an existing recipe. It can also work well on a gas grill.
- 1 TBSP Dry Yeast
- 3 CUPS Flour
- (White or Stoneground ( 1 1/2 white + 1 1/2 wheat)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 CUP yogurt
- 1/2 CUP hot water
- 1/4 CUP melted butter (half stick) (for baking bread)
1. Mix dry ingredients flour, salt & yeast in mixer (kitchen aid / stand mixer) or mix by hand in a large mixing bowl.
2.In a separate bowl combine yogurt & hot water. Next make a depression in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into depression then start to mix ingedients together. Add water or flour, as needed, to bring dough to slightly firm but not sticky consistency.
3.Let dough sit for 1 hour or place in fridge over night.
4.Let reach room temperature if stored over night.
Next punch down on flowered board.
5. Take take small handful of dough (2 inch dia) and cover outside with flour.
6.Smoosh down flat into disc and stack in bowl.
Let disc’s relax about 5-10 minutes before spreading.
7.“Massage” dough out into desired shape (roughly 10”dia. oval or round) onto floured board.
11.Place oven rack 6 inches from heating element.
12. Set oven on broil.
13. Place naan’s on cookie sheets (no teflon). Brush butter on top of naan’s. Cook until top shows some browning.
14. Open oven and Flip naan. Quickly butter top side. Cook until lightly browned.