- 1 egg
- 2 cups chopped fresh plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green or yellow pepper
- 1 cup chopped cucumber, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 cups beef broth (optional)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- Pepper, coarsely ground
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 46-ounce can tomato juice
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- Tabasco, to taste
- Garnish (optional): chopped parsley, minced red onion, chopped olives
Place egg in small pot of cold water, bring to boil, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
In a pot or large bowl, combine tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, red onion, olive oil, lemon juice, cold beef broth (optional), red wine vinegar, parsley, oregano, Worcestershire, and coarsely ground black pepper to taste. Stir.
Sprinkle garlic with a pinch of salt, and set in bowl.
When egg is finished cooking, run under cold water, remove shell, add to garlic and salt mixture, and mash together with fork.
Pour tomato juice into large pot or bowl with vegetables, and add garlic, egg, and salt mixture. Add bread crumbs and stir so that they dissolve into liquid.
Taste for seasoning and add salt, pepper, and Tabasco to taste. Chill for at least 4 hours and serve. Garnish with chopped parsley, minced red onion, and chopped olives if desired.