Blueberry Crumb Bars
A delicious blueberry treat with a hint of lemon in the crust.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon (optional)
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
Adapted from divine-domesticity.blogspot.com
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and cinnamon, if desired. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the shortening and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
3. In another bowl, stir together the sugar and cornstarch. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.