Black Forest Cake
- 2 (20 oz) cans tart pitted cherries, undrained
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 9inch chocolate cake layers, baked and cooled
- 3 cups cold whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners sugar
1. Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Combine reserved cherry juice, cherries, sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until thickened. Add vanilla and stir.
2. Split each cake layer in half horizontally. Crumble one half layer; set aside.
3. Beat cold whipping cream and the confectioners' sugar in large bowl with mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Reserve 1 1/2 cups whipped cream for decorative piping.
4. Place one cake layer on serving plate. Spread with 1 cup whipped cream; top with 3/4 cup cherry topping. Top with second cake layer, 1 cup whipped cream and 3/4 cup cherry topping; top with 3rd layer of cake.
5. Frost Cake sides with remaining whipped cream; pat gently with reserved cake crumbs.
6. Spoon reserved 1 1/2 cups whipped cream into pastry bag fitted with star tip; pipe around top and bottom edges. Spoon remaining cherry topping over top of cake.