- Olive oil
- 1 small French bread or boule, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- Kosher salt
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, large diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, large diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, sliced in half rounds
- 1/2 lb feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup calamata olives, pitted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Heat 3 TBSP olive oil in a large saute pan. Add the bread cubes and sprinkle with salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes, til nicely browned. Add more olive oil if needed.
Place the cucumber, red pepper, yellow pepper, tomatoes and red onion in a large bowl.
For the vinaigrette, whisk together the garlic, oregano, mustard, vinegar, 1 tsp salt and the pepper in a small bowl. While still whisking, add the olive oil and make an emulsion. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetable. Add the feta, olives and bread cubes and mix together lightly. Set aside for 30 minutes for the flavor to blend. Serve at room temp.