Cream Soup Par Excellence
This velvety cream soup combines the subtle flavors of celery root, Yukon gold potatoes, and leeks. The crumbled blue cheese adds a tangy savory contrast.
- 1 celery root (celeriac)
- 1 large/2 smaller 4-5” pieces of leek
- 4-5 small Yukon gold potatoes
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- dash of white pepper
- good mineral salt to taste
- 1-2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3-1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue or green cheese
- (Stilton, Gorgonzola, Rochefort)
- chopped chives
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Prepare the vegetables. Peel the celery root and potatoes. Cut into 1-2-inch pieces. Slice the leeks in half lengthwise. Soak and wash well in a bowl of water. Then slice them into ½” half moons.
In a large soup pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook till tender: 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped garlic for another minute or so. Add the chicken stock, leeks and potatoes. Simmer 20-25 minutes (depending on altitude), till tender.
Do a rough mash with a potato masher. Add white pepper and mineral salt to taste. Add the cream. Do a final purée with a wand (“boat motor”) blender or, more tediously and piecemeal, in a blender.
Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with the crumbled cheese and chives.