Taco Salad (390 Calories)
Salads are supposed to be healthy options when watching your calories, right? Not with the added bacon bits, refried beans, cheese, fried tortilla chips and sour cream that taco salads pack! This popular Mexican salad can carry upwards of 800 calories per serving. All of the classic ingredients add a ton of fat that doesn't really need to be in this tasty salad.
In my recipe rehab, I will use plain black beans to add fiber without all the fat of traditional refried beans. Low-fat baked tortilla chips add crunch while reducing the calories even further. As for the dairy products, I will use a low-fat mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar cheese, and I will replace the sour cream with my favorite, plain Greek yogurt. This new version of taco salad will fit nicely into your healthy eating menu at only 380 calories per serving.
- 3/4 pound 95 percent lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (15-ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 medium Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 head green leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces baked tortilla chips (about 32 chips)
- 4 tablespoons fat-free Greek yogurt
1. In a large skillet, brown the beef over medium heat, stirring occasionally until done. Add the chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Add the water and stir to combine. Add the beans and continue to cook until warmed through.
2. In a small bowl, prepare the salsa by combining the tomatoes, peppers and shallots. Mix in the lemon juice and salt.
3. To assemble the salad, toss together the lettuce, cheese and tortilla chips. Top with meat mixture, salsa and Greek yogurt.
Nutrition Content (per serving)
383 calories, 8 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 44 g carbohydrates, 5 g sugars, 9 g fiber, 34 g protein, 548 mg sodium