Momma Reiners Chocolate Fudge
- Chocolate Fudge:
- 3/4cup3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter
- 2 2/3cups2 2/3 cups sugar
- 1can1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 12ounces12 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 1/4cups2 1/4 cups Momma Reiner's Homemade Marshmallow Cream
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Marshmallow Cream :
- 3large3 large egg whites
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3cup2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4cup3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2/3cup2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1teaspoon1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Chocolate Fudge :
(Makes enough for 30 marshmallows)
1.Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and evaporated milk; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until mixture reaches the soft-ball stage, 234 to 240 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 6 minutes.
2. Add chocolate and stir until melted. Add marshmallow cream and vanilla; stir or blend using an immersion blender, until well combined. Remove from heat; use immediately.
Marshmallow Cream :
(Makes about 5 cups)
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar together until light and frothy. With the mixer running, slowly pour in 2 tablespoons sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, combine 1/3 cup water, corn syrup, and remaining 2/3 cup sugar. Place over medium heat and cook until boiling. Cook, stirring, until mixture reaches the firm-ball stage, about 242 to 248 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 6 minutes. Immediately remove from heat.
3. With the mixer on low, slowly add hot syrup to egg-white mixture. Increase mixer speed to high and continue beating for 5 minutes. Add vanilla and continue to beat until mixture looks like marshmallow cream, about 1 minute more.