Savory Cheddar Cheese Biscuits
These tasty biscuits, ultra-tender thanks to the addition of both heavy cream and cheese, go together in a flash. Amazingly, they include just three ingredients: self-rising flour or baking mix, cream, and cheddar cheese. Once shaped, they can be baked immediately, or frozen for a later date. Easy, versatile, and delicious — that's a win, win, WIN!
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Self-Rising Flour or All-Purpose Baking Mix
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, the sharper the better; we prefer Cabot extra-sharp
- 1 cup heavy cream
Adapted from kingarthurflour.com
1) Preheat your oven to 425°F, with a rack in the upper third.
2) To make the biscuits using a food processor: Cut the cheese into a few chunks. Place the cheese and flour into the work bowl of your food processor.
3) Process until the mixture is smooth; the cheese will be very finely chopped.
4) Add the cream, and pulse until the dough becomes cohesive. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface.
5) To make the dough by hand: Grate or shred the cheese; you should have about 1 cup. Toss it together with the flour.
6) Add the cream, stirring to make a cohesive dough. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface.
7) Pat the dough into a disc 3/4" to 1" thick; the thicker the disc, the taller the biscuits.
8) Use a 2" cutter (or the size of your choice) to cut rounds. Place the biscuits on an ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the tops of the biscuits with cream or milk, if desired; this will help brown their crust.
9) Bake the biscuits for 15 to 18 minutes, until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and serve immediately.