- 2 cups of root beer (do not use a diet root beer)
- 1 cup of dark cocoa powder, like Valrhona
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cups dark brown sugar (packed)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup root beer
- 1 3.3oz. package of vanilla pudding
- 1 8oz. container Cool Whip
- Beat the root beer and pudding together until firm. Fold in Cool Whip. Done!
Preheat oven to 325º degrees.
Line the cupcake tins with liners, if you don't have liners, spray with Pam and lightly flour, tapping out the excess flour.
In a small saucepan, heat root beer, cocoa and butter over medium heat until butter is completely melted. Add both sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove mixture from heat to cool.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk eggs until just beaten, then whisk into cooled cocoa mix until combined.
Gently fold flour mixture into chocolate mixture. Mixture will be slightly lumpy—Do not over-beat which could cause the cake to be tough.
Pour mixture into cupcake tins, I used a 1/3 measuring cup to pour . Fill about 2/3 full. Bake approximately 30-35 minutes. Rotate tins half-way through bake time. Cupcakes will spring back to touch, or use a toothpick, coming clean.
Cool cupcakes on rack. Make sure they are cooled completely before adding frosting.