- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c. cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 T. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1 large egg, separated, plus 1 additional egg white
- 2 T. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c. pecans, finely chopped
- Caramel Filling:
- 14 soft caramel candies (I used Kraft Traditional Caramels)
- 3 T. heavy cream
- Chocolate Drizzle (optional):
- 2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (I used 2 squares of Baker's semi-sweet chocolate)
- 1 tsp. shortening
Prepare the Cookies:
1. Combine flour, cocoa, and salt; set aside.
2. With electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolk, milk, and vanilla; mix until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture until just combined.
3. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, 1 hour.
4. Whisk egg whites in a bowl until frothy. Place chopped pecans in another bowl. Roll chilled dough into 1-inch balls, dip in egg whites, and then roll in pecans. Place balls about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Using a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon, make an indentation in the center of each dough ball.
5. Bake at 350 degrees until set, about 12 minutes.
Prepare the Caramel Filling:
6. Microwave caramels and cream together in a small bowl, stirring occasionally, until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Once cookies are removed from the oven, gently re-press the indentations. Fill each indentation with about 1/2 teaspoon of the caramel mixture. Cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.