This is delicious, but I recommend it for a small group, it's too hard to keep warm and crispy if frying a lot of them.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 can (15 oz) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can ( 8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 black pepper
- 1/4 pound Monterey Jack cheese, cut into strips
- 2 cans (4 oz) whole green chiles, drained
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons flour
- oil or shortening for deep frying
- flour for dusting
- grated sharp Cheddar cheese for garnish topping
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Make sauce: In saucepan, sauté onions in hot oil. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, bouillon cube, salt, oregano, pepper. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Carefully insert a strip of cheese into each chile.
In medium bowl, beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. In small bowl, beat egg yolks slightly and then gently fold the yolks into the egg whites. Add the 3 tablespoons flour and fold until just blended.
In heavy skillet or saucepan, heat 1 1/2 to 2 inches of oil to 400 degrees on deep-frying thermometer.
Roll cheese stuffed chiles in flour. With large, slotted spoon, dip chiles in batter, coating generously. Gently place in hot oil, 2 at a time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes, until golden on both sides. Remove and keep warm while frying remaining chiles.
Serve with sauce and sprinkle with grated Cheddar.