Grilled Romaine Hearts with Caesar Vinaigrette
This may be your first time grilling lettuce, but I'll bet it won't be your last. Here the romaine hearts retain their crispness but soften and char just enough to become luxurious.
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil spray
- 2 hearts of Romaine lettuce
In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, Worcestershire and pepper. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
Preheat the grill over medium-high heat. Oil the grill's surface. Remove any wilted outer leaves from the romaine hearts, then cut the hearts in half length-wise leaving the end intact so each half holds together. Spray them lightly all over with the oil spray.
Grill until grill marks form and the lettuce wilts slightly, about 6 minutes, turning once or twice. Serve drizzled with the vinaigrette.
YIELD: 4 servings