- 1 pound large shells
- 1 package (10 ounce) frozen spinach, thawed and water squeezed out
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound cottage cheese, small curd, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup grated cheese (Parmesan or Romano)
- Salt and black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups tomato, spaghetti sauce, or Italian Gravy (page 341)
- 2 cups coarsely grated Swiss or mozzarella cheese
Boil the pasta until firm but tender. Rinse in cold water and drain.
Saute the sausage and break up into small pieces. Mix with the drained spinach, drained cottage cheese, garlic, lemon juice, grated cheese, salt, pepper, and oregano. Stir in the beaten egg.
Stuff the shells with the above mixture and place in a greased baking dish. Top with a bit of tomato or spaghetti sauce and, finally, the cheese.
Bake at 350° until all is hot and the cheese melted, about 20 minutes.
Serve this for a complete meal, ,along with Zucchini and Carrots and a crisp green salad.
Wine Suggestion: Chianti or Zinfandel.