Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1 TBSP. hot sauce
- 2 tsp. seasoned salt, divided
- 1 (4-5 lb.) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. gaarlic salt
- 1 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- Peanut oil for frying
1. In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, hot sauce, and 1 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt. Add chicken pieces; cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Drain, discarding buttermilk mixture.
2. In a shallow dish, combine flour, garlic salt, red pepper, onion powder, and remaining 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, and place on a wire rack. Let stand on wire rack for 15 minutes.
3. In a large cast-iron skillet, pour oil to depth of 3"; heat to 350 degrees.
4. Fry chicken pieces, in batches, for 12-15 minutes per side or until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165 degrees. Drain on a clean wire rack over paper towels.