Slow Cooker Bolognese
This can also be made on the stop top. Cook on low for about 3 hours or so.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (can use a mixture of beef and pork or even meatloaf mixture)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Adapted from keyingredient.com
1.Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the carrots, onion, and garlic until tender, about 10 minutes. Place the ground beef into the skillet and cook and stir, breaking up the meat as it cooks, until browned. Drain off excess fat from the skillet, and pour in 1 cup milk. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the milk is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
2.Place the beef mixture into a slow cooker, and set the cooker to High. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and cook for 2 hours. Mix in 1/2 cup milk and Parmesan cheese, stir well, and cook for 2 more hours.