- Add the following:
- Fill your crockpot about 3/4 full of rolled oats.
- A bag of chopped walnuts, slivered almonds, or pecans. If the nuts are too big, I use my food processor to chop them up into smaller pieces.
- 1/2-1 About 1/2-1 cup of whole grain flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- A few sprinkles of salt
- Stir together.
- Mix the following in a saucepan:
- 1/2 cups of honey, maple syrup, or a combination thereof,
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of oil. I like to use coconut oil but olive oil works and you won’t taste it.
- 1/4 cup of water
- Heat this mixture over low heat until everything is melted and blended. Then pour it over the mixture in the crockpot and stir it in well.
Turn the crock on low and cover, but keep the lid ajar to let the steam escape. Set a timer for 30 minutes to remind you to stir.
Some recipes say you can stir every 45 minutes, but my crockpot gets too hot and I’ve scorched mine this way. So I stir every 30 minutes.
And when you stir, make sure you scoop way down to the bottom and lift what’s down below up to the surface.
It is done when it is brown and dry. At this point spread on cookie sheets to cool.
When cool, mix in dry fruit to suit. Store in an airtight container.