This is more like a soup than a thick chili. We serve it every Halloween at our house.
Helpful Hints: The chocolate can be anything you have on hand. For example--a handful of chocolate chips, a square of a candy bar; I've even used Tootsie Rolls.
Nothing has to be exact in this recipe. Just toss it together--it always turns out to be delicious!
It makes a lot. Half can be frozen for later.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 tsp salt
- onion, chopped
- garlic (to taste)
- 1 bottle or large can of Tomatoes, undrained
- water (I usually fill the bottle or can)
- 16 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 heaping tsp of chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- chocolate (yes, chocolate), just a bit
- S&W kidney beans (S&W really are the best)
Brown together: Hamburger, salt, onion and garlic. Add: tomatoes, water, tomato sauce, ketchup, chili powder, cumin, chocolate and kidney beans.
Simmer together and serve.