Lasagna (Sandi Style)
I prefer it not baked in the oven but to stick it in the fridge and then cut servings out as desired - heating it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes until warm (thereby cooking the egg the only uncooked ingredient). Start with a minute or so and keep checking to make sure bottom of lasagna is warm.
(Helps to make a couple of slits in it to distribute the microwave heat more evenly)
Also, save time, make a double batch & freeze, thaw out in the fridge.
- 1 box Rigatoni or Lasagna noodles (Al Dente - Do Not Over Cook)
- 1 pound ground chicken or beef (fresh)
- 1/2 pound ground veal (fresh)
- 1/2 pound ground pork (fresh)
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 (15 ounce) jars Marinara Sauce
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 6-8 ounces ricotta cheese (more if you like Ricotta)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash pepper (optional)
- Parmesan cheese (enough to sprinkle on each layer to taste)
- Large bag shredded mozzarella cheese (enough to cover each layer well)
In a large skillet over medium-high heat saute` onion and garlic (about 3 minutes).
Add meat, stirring until lightly browned.
Add tomato sauce & basil. (Mushrooms if desired).
Bring to low boil reduce heat and simmer about 5-6 minutes.
In a small bowl combine ricotta, egg, salt & pepper.
In a baking dish start with a layer of meat sauce, then a layer of noodles.
Top with ricotta mix, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese.
Repeat 2 or 3 times ending with mozzarella & parmesan cheese.
(I usually salt & pepper to taste here)
Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
Remove foil, bake another 15 minutes (or until lightly browned).
Let stand 15 minutes to set.