grilled portobello and goat cheese sandwiches
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, such as manzanilla, coarsley chopped
- 1 tbsp walnuts or pine nuts
- 1 small clove garlic, coarsley chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tsp evoo
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 small portobello mushrooms, stemmed, gills removed and wiped clean
- 4 soft round rolls, such as portuguese or kaiser, split in half
- 4 oz. fresh goat cheese, crumbled
heat panini or sandwich press according to manufachurers instructions. or heat a non stick grill pan over medium high heat.
while press is heating, put the basil, olives, nuts and garlic in a food processor and process until finely chopped. with the mtor running add 6 tbsp evoo in a slow steady stream through the feed tube and continue to process until thick and smooth. season to taste with salt and pepper. brush the mushrooms with 2 tbsps evoo and sprinkle with salt and pepper. put them on the press, pull the top down and cook until softened and browned, 3-5 minutes or cook in grill pan , flipping once.. transfer to plte and let cool slightly.
spread the pesto on the bottom halves of the rolls. put 2 mushrooms on each and then some cheese. top the sandwiches with the other halves of the rolls. brush both sides of the sandwiches with the remaining 2 tsp oil.
put the sandwiches on the press pesto side up, pull top down and cook until brown and the cheese is melted, 5-7 minutes, depending on how hot your machine is. if using grill pan, put a heavy [an on top of the sandwiches and cook turning once. carefully remove from the press and serve