Individual Chocolate Souffles
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more for ramekins
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature, plus 3 large egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (70 percent cacao), melted
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
- Garnish: confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 35mins
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush four 7-ounce ramekins generously with the butter; coat with granulated sugar. Whisk whites with a mixer until frothy, about 2 minutes. Add cream of tartar; whisk until soft peaks form. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar; whisk until medium peaks form, about 5 minutes.
Set chocolate in a bowl. Whisk milk into cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until thick, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk into chocolate (mixture will separate). Whisk in yolks and creme fraiche. Gently fold in egg whites.
Fill ramekins evenly with batter. Bake on a baking sheet, rotating halfway through, until souffles rise but centers are still liquid, about 14 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar.