- 3 cups plant-based milk
- 1 cup dates, pitted (omit for savoury version)
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseeds + 4 tbsp. water
- pinch salt (omit for healthier version)
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom (optional - omit for savoury version)
- juice from 1 lemon, about 3 tbsp. (optional - omit for savoury version)
Preparation time 20mins
Adapted from gluten-free-vegan-girl.com
1. Place the ground flaxseeds and water together in a small bowl and allow this to sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place the cashews, dates, lemon juice and 2 cups of milk together in a larger bowl, also soaking it for 10 minutes, making it easier to blend. Once that is done stir both mixtures together and blend until completely smooth, either using a hand blender or a regular stationary one.
2. Mix in the other ingredients, adding the remaining 1 cup of milk gradually. The batter should be noticeably thinner than waffle batter. If you want to ensure that it is completely smooth, feel free to run this another round in the blender.
3. Heat up a non-stick pan on medium heat. It has to be properly heated before you start making the pancakes. Pour just enough of the batter in to barely coat the bottom of your pan. If your batter is too thick you can stir in a little bit water. I used about a half cup of batter per pancake, and I have to swirl the pan around fast to get it to spread nice and even. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Make sure it is completely cooked through before you flip them, and do so carefully to avoid it from ripping. Keep warm in oven on lowest heat. Serve warm.