- For the Meat Sauce —
- 1 1/2 lb. ground chuck
- 1 1/2 lb. ground mild Italian sausage
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 2 T. garlic, minced
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 2 t. each dried basil, thyme, and oregano
- 1/2 t. red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- Stir in; Simmer:
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup beef broth or water
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the Béchamel —
- Saute in 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter:
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/8 t. cayenne
- Pinch nutmeg
- Stir in:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Gradually Add:
- 3 cups whole milk
- 10 oz. Boursin cheese (or Alouette)
- Salt to taste
- Whisk in:
- 8 oz. frozen chopped spinach
- 1 egg, beaten
- To Assemble —
- 1 lb. oven-ready lasagna sheets, parboiled
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 6 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 400° with rack in the center.
Brown the meats in a large saute pan over medium-high heat; spoon off as much of the fat as possible.
Add onions, garlic, tomato paste, and seasonings. Saute until onion softens, about 8 minutes.
Stir in both types of tomatoes, broth, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Simmer over medium heat until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes; set aside.
Saute onion for the béchamel in melted butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, cayenne, and nutmeg; cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Stir often to prevent scorching.
Stir in flour to coat; cook 2 minutes.
Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add Boursin in small pieces and whisk until smooth; season with salt. Set aside 1 cup béchamel for the top of the lasagna. Cool remaining sauce for 10 minutes.
Whisk in frozen spinach and egg.
Prepare lasagna sheets; have both cheeses ready. Assemble lasagna, layering béchamel, pasta, béchamel, meat sauce, and then the cheese. Repeat until all pasta is used. Bake uncovered for 40 - 45 minutes, or until bubbly and top is golden. Allow lasagna to rest 20 - 30 minutes before cutting and serving.