- 1/2 T. vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 1 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 T plus 3/4 tsp. coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp red chile flakes
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- Juice of 1 limes
- 1 pkg (8 oz.) small corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-in.-thick strips
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/4-in.-thick strips
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 can (14 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Sliced avocado, sour cream, grated Monterey jack cheese, and/or sliced green onions for topping
1. Heat 1/2 T vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in two-thirds of the garlic, 1/2 T. salt, cumin, and chile flakes and cook 2 minutes.
2. Add broth, tomatoes, and half the lime juice and increase heat to a gentle simmer; cook 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, pour about 1 in. of vegetable oil into a small frying pan set over medium-high heat. When oil is hot but not smoking, add one-third of the tortilla strips and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer strips to a paper towel-lined baking pan. Repeat with remaining tortilla strips in two batches. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt. Set aside.
4. Take soup off heat and purée soup with immersion blender. Return to heat and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl, toss chicken with remaining lime juice, garlic, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes. Add marinated chicken, black beans, and zucchini to soup and simmer 5 minutes, until chicken is just cooked through. Serve hot with tortilla strips and your choice of toppings.