HOMEMADE PIMENTO CHEESE
Pimento cheese has always been a Southern classic. There are so many ways to make this delicious spread, too. We like it just about any way you “fix” it. It is wonderful with soups, on crackers, and even grilled in sandwiches.
- 2 ounces Velveeta cheese (You can also make this using shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack or any cheese of your choice or mix your cheeses. If using the shredded cheese use a pound of cheese)
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos, undrained
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish, optional
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch cayenne or a few drops of hot sauce (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
Adapted from thesouthernladycooks.com
If using Velveeta, put the cheese through a food chopper or use food processor to grind up the cheese. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Enjoy!
Note: I think this is best if chilled overnight.