Tex Mex Stir Fry
- 1 TB vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound well trimmed sirloin, cut into 2x1/8 inch strips
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth, defatted
- 2 TB ketchup
- 10 oz pkg frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat 2 tsp of the oil until hot but not smoking over medium heat. Add the beef and stir fry until browned, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. Stir fry until fragrant, about 1 minute. With a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a plate.
Add the remaining 1 tsp oil to the skillet. Add the bell peppers, onion, and celery and stir fry until the onions are slightly softened, 2 - 3 minutes. Add the broth, ketchup, corn, and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the vegetables are tender, 2 - 3 minutes.
Increase the heat to high, return the beef to the skillet along with the tomatoes and cilantro, and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
1/4 recipe: 8 fat, 270 calories, 1.4 sat fat, 34 g carb, 20 g protein, 35 mg chol, 377 mg sodium