Chocolate Guinness Cake
12 ServingsPrep: 25 Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Rate this recipe 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chocolate Guinness CakeOne bite and everyone will propose a toast to this moist, chocolaty cake. The cream cheese frosting resembles the foamy head on a pint.—Marjorie Hennig, Seymour, Indiana 12 ServingsPrep: 25 Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup Guinness (dark beer)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Grease a 9-in. springform pan and line the bottom with parchment
- paper; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat beer and butter until butter is melted.
- Remove from the heat; whisk in sugar and cocoa until blended.
- Combine the eggs, sour cream and vanilla; whisk into beer mixture.
- Combine flour and baking soda; whisk into beer mixture until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Remove sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’
- sugar and cream; beat until smooth (do not overbeat). Remove cake
- from the pan and place on a platter or cake stand. Ice top of cake
- so that it resembles a frothy pint of beer. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Yield: 12 servings.
- Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 494 calories, 22 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 288 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.