Wendy’s Chili is meaty, hearty, and it’s got just the right amount of spice for those that can't always handle the heat. The next-best-thing to Wendy's chili? This recipe.
- 2 pounds fresh ground beef
- 1 quart tomato juice
- 1 can (29-ounce) tomato purée
- 1 can (15-ounce) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (15-ounce) pinto beans, drained
- 1 medium to large onion, chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup chili powder, use less for milder chili
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, use more for real flavor
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 90mins
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain off the fat.
Put the beef and the remaining ingredients in a 6-quart pot. Cover the pot and let the chili simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
You can also cook this in a slow cooker on low for 3 to 4 hours.