Spicy Grilled Oysters with Asian Pepper Relish
The flavors in this recipe are delightful. Sweet, salty and a bit spicy. But it's the smokiness from the grill that makes them extra special.
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger peeled & grated
- 1 red bell pepper finely minced
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney chopped
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoon parsley minced
- 12 oysters shucked, returned to the half shell, liquor reserved
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Prepare the grill. If using a gas grill, heat it to medium. If using a charcoal grill, start the charcoal or wood briquettes; when the briquettes are ready, pile them on one side to create 2 zones, for direct and indirect heat. The oysters will be cooked over the indirect side. (if roasting, preheat oven to 450F.)
In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter with the red pepper flakes, shallot and ginger. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until fragrant but do not brown. Add the minced bell pepper, mango chutney, soy sauce, lemon juice and oyster liquor. Cook until the liquid is bubbly and reduced, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the parsley.
Spoon the mixture over the oysters; each oyster will take 1 to 3 teaspoons of topping according to size.
Grill on the grates and over indirect heat, covered for 5 to 10 minutes. If using the oven, 7 to 10 minutes. The oysters are done when the edges have curled up and the topping is bubbly. Serve warm on a bed of kosher or rock salt to keep the juices from tipping out of the shell.