Canelé Bordelais - Signature Bordeaux Pastry
- 2 cup Heavy Cream (or Fat-Free Half & Half for low-fat versions)
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3 1/2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Dark Rum
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 2 Egg Yolks
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from chefjoshuaalan.com
1. In a medium pot over medium heat, place the cream/half & half and the vanilla bean split in half with seeds scraped into the liquid.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Remove from heat for about an hour to infuse vanilla flavors, remove bean.
4. Melt the butter, then let cool.
5. Sift flour and sugar in two separate bowls.
6. Add eggs to sugar and mix.
7. Add rum, then mix.
8. Add butter, then mix.
9. Add flour, then mix.
10. Add cream, then mix.
11. Mix until smooth.
12. Cover and place in fridge overnight.
13. Butter and flour molds. Chill slightly.
14. Place batter in molds, then in a preheated oven at 350 for about 60 minutes.
15. Canelés should have dark brown color when done, adjust time accordingly. Remove from oven, cool, then eat.