Hamburger Soup Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (or ground venison or beef/venison mixture)
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or garlic powder added with seasonings)
- 4 small cubed potatoes
- 1 package small carrots, or large carrots cut to same cube size as potatoes
- 2/3 cup diced celery (can use less)
- 1 can flavored diced tomatoes (we like the Onion/Garlic or the Chili)
- 1/2 cup Lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- Garlic powder to taste (or mince one clove and brown with onion)
- Pepper to taste
- 3 beef bouillon cubes or equivalent in granules or soup base
- Water to cover
Brown the onion (and garlic) in a soup pot, using very little oil/butter. Brown hamburger meat in same pot. Drain off excess fat. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil.
Add lentils, seasonings, bouillon, and water. Cover and simmer for 50 minutes – checking often and adding water as level lowers. For additional guests, just add a few more of your favorite ingredients, and for a touch of sweetness, add a can of whole kernel corn ten minutes before serving.
Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with grated sharp cheddar — or the cheese of your choice.
Allow to cool. Freeze. To serve: Thaw. Reheat on stove, in microwave or in slow cooker.