Currant-Oragne Irish Soda Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. finely shredded orange peel
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a baking sheet, set aside. In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and orange peel. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in currants. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
2. In a small mixing bowl combine egg and buttermilk. Add all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.
3. On a lightly floured surface gently knead dough to form a dough (about 4 or 5 times). Shape into a 7-inch round loaf.
4. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet. With a sharp knife, make 2 slashes across the top of the loaf to form an X, cutting all the way to the edge. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Serve warm