Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Toffee Sauce:
- 8 oz. pitted dates, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups boiling water
- 1/3 cup softened butter (3-1/2 tbsp for batter, use the rest to butter the pan)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp black treacle or dark molasses
- 1 tbsp Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups self-rising cake flour
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 7 tbsp butter
- 6 oz. English double cream
1. In a bowl, cover dates with boiling water. Set aside
2. Preheat oven to 375 deg. Place roasting pan filled with about 1 inch of water into the oven.
3. Butter a 9x9 pan. Dust with flour, In a bowl, with an electric mixer, beat 3-1/2 tbsp butter with sugar until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add treacle, gloden syrup and vanilla. Mix until just combined. On low speed, add the flour.
4. In a food processor, puree the dates. Stir in the baking soda and stir mixture into the batter. Pour into the prepared pan. Place in the roasting pan and bake about 35 min. until top is just firm. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
5. Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the sugar and butter until mixture turns a deep amber color. Watch closely so itdoes not burn. Slowly mix in the double cream. Be careful: it will bubble up first. Once all the c ream is added, cook mixture until it is thick enough to coat a spoon. Cut cake into squares and serve with sauce and vanilla ice cream.