Goat: Goat Meat with Green Chili
Adapted from the El Regalo Ranch recipe
- 1 lb goat stew meat
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 head garlic, minced (or more)
- 3 tbsp gf flour
- 8 oz canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup diced green chilies (fresh roasted and peeled are best, but I used canned)
- 3 large tomatillos, husks removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh jalapenos, finely diced
- 2 2/3 cups water or broth (chicken, veggie, mushroom etc)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 120mins
1. Cut meat into bite size pieces and brown in small portion of the oil. Remove from pan.
2. In the same pan, heat remaining oil. Add onions and garlic; saute until tender, but not brown.
3. Stir flour into the onion, garlic and oil until flour absorbs the oil.
4. Add broth or water, stirring thoroughly. Cook until mixture comes to a boil and is slightly thickened.
5. Add spices to broth mixture.
6. Puree 1/2 of the green chilies until smooth.
7. Put cubed meat, drained tomatoes, chopped tomatillos, all the green chilies, and jalapenos into a crock pot.
8. Add broth mixture to crock pot.
9. Simmer on low for at least an hour. But six-seven hours is optimal. Stir occasionally.
Serve with rice or quinoa.