Calamari in Zimino Sauce
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped fine (or 12 oz of canned San Marzano tomatoes without juice)
- 2 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 celery stalk, fibrous portion peeled and cut into a fine dice
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs Swiss chard, washed and sliced into 1-inch stripes
- 1 lb squid, cleaned and sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 tbls parsley, minced for garnish
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 65mins
1- Pour the olive oil into a large pan over medium heat and bring up to cooking temperature
2- Add the onions and celery with a generous pinch of salt and allow to sweat, in the pan, for 5 minutes.
3- Add the tomato, Swiss chard, another pinch of salt and cracked fresh pepper.
4- Cover the pot and turn the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes and return to the pot to stir, making sure to mix all ingredients together well.
5- Cover the pot again and allow to cook for another 25 minutes.
6- Remove the lid, turn the heat up to medium and add the squid.
7- Allow to cook uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
8-Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper if necessary.
Plate onto warmed plates by spooning a mound of the stew in the center of the plate with a generous amount of broth around it. Sprinkle with parsley, clean the rims of the plates and serve.